Since it was founded in 1957, Les Grands Ballets has presented over 140 new works. Ivan Cavallari’s arrival as Artistic Director in 2017 was marked by a series of new creative projects, starting with renewing and expanding the company’s repertoire. It is of the utmost importance to Ivan Cavallari to introduce audiences here and elsewhere to noteworthy original works alongside the great classics and to support Les Grands Ballets in its role as a dynamic ambassador of a bold creative culture built on a foundation of excellence and performance and befitting Montreal’s status as a major cultural centre.
Les Grands Ballets draws on its creation fund to pursue excellence and hire top local and foreign talent commensurate with its world-class reputation, whether choreographers or set, costume or lighting designers. The creation fund allows the company’s artists to explore the full range of their creativity, take bold risks and constantly refresh their offerings to audiences. The fund is also essential to the company’s efforts to give the general public opportunities for cultural enrichment
Did you know that … ?
- Over the years, nearly 50 guest choreographers have joined the company to present new works.
- All costumes used in Grands Ballets creations (500 to 750 every year) are made to measure by hand in our costume workshop.
- The annual budget (19-20devons-nous le mettre ?) for the creation and refurbishing of costumes and pointe shoes is $960,000.
- Our annual set costs are $370,000.
- Dancers rehearse an average of 1,500 hours every year.
- During the 2019-2020 season, over $2 million was invested in five new creations.